Monday, August 6, 2012

Tyranids! 2011 Armies On Parade Entry!

In the interests of 1, getting used to updating a blog, and 2, getting something for people to look at on said blog, here's a quick update with photos of my 2011 Armies On Parade entry.  My Tyranids!  When I first decided to build a bug army I wanted ruined city/rubble bases, so that meant I wanted really bright colors so they would stand out.  I think I managed that goal!  I've heard some comments where people think the bright models are silly, because 'Nids should be more "naturally" colored or have camouflage.  Guess they've never looked at pictures of poisonous tree frogs on the Internet their folks provide for 'em!  Maybe bright green and gold WAS perfect camo on the last planet the Hive fleet stopped off at for a quick brunch.  All I know is I enjoy painting them, they're fast to paint, and I really dig how they look on the table.  On top of that, they won me 1st Best Painted, and 2nd Player's Choice at the Alamo 40K Indy GT in 2011.  They won 2nd Best Painted at Wargames Con 2011.  They won the Parade Day Qualifier at Games Workshop: The Market at Town Center, in Sugarland Texas.  And models or objective markers from this army have been featured on the BoLS Pic of the Day 4 times that I know of.  Yeah, I LIKE my bugs.  I look forward to having them all painted some day (that's gonna be a while!) so I can throw them all down in a huge Apocalypse game. Without further ado, here's some photos....

First up, the entire army with objective markers on the ruined city display board.



Next, 1 of the Carnifexes (Carnifexi?)
 
 Easter Gargoyles!

 Hive Guard and my Doom of Malan'tai conversion.


 Hormagaunts and a Tyrant Guard.

 Mycetic Spore!  I have a different design that I sculpted and cast up, but this one, made by my friend Merlin, was used due to space considerations on the display board.  It gets rave revues, as it should.  Merlin does great work!

 Swarmlord and the best 'Nid objective marker ever!  Converted from a Carnifex, LONG before GW brought out a model for him.


Genestealers.   I like the old Genestealer models more than the new ones, but they never seemed to "fit" with the rest of the Tyranid models.  So I sculpted carapace plates for their backs and heads, learned how to make molds, and cast up enough for my whole army....96 first edition Genestealers.  Thank You first and second edition Space Hulk!  Look forward to having all of them painted and playable!


 Termagants.


 Tervigon.  Also converted from a Carnifex before GW had a model.

 Termigant being born.  This part of the model generates 2 responses; gross! and awesome!  That's the effect I was going for!


Hope you like them!  I'm supposed to play my first game of 6th Edition 40K tonight, and start teaching a couple of guys how to paint better.  What that means is I should have some material for the next update!  Until next time.....

1 comment: