Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Flamers are Gross!

So, I played my first game with Chaos Daemons last night.  The only models I had on the table that were painted were my Silver Demon winning Plaguebearers.  They did exactly what they were supposed to do; grabbed the objective (the Relic) and walked off with it while the rest of the army beat faces in.  It was a 1500 point game vs. a fairly generic Blood Angels list that my buddy Kirk has been experimenting with.  We quickly arrived at the same conclusion: Flamers are disgustingly, grossly, powerful!  I'd consider buying more and running multiple units but I really hate spam lists like that. 



To give you an idea of how powerful they are, here's the breakdown.  In 2 turns my 6 flamers (138 points) killed 10 assault marines, a priest, (I think) 10 Death Company, a Chaplain, and 2 Devastator Marines.  I don't have an exact points total, but Kirk said it was over 500 points.  In between killing the majority of that, and killing the Devastators the unit soaked up 100% of the remaining firepower of Kirk's army which left 1 model with 1 wound remaining.  Now, in all fairness, the Flamers were helped out by The Masque and her shooting Pavane of Slaanesh 3 times per turn which let me clump up the Death Company for maximum template coverage.  So, you factor her cost in, and 238 points killed one third of Kirk's army in 2 turns!  Yikes!  The Masque was Pavaning other units during this time too in order to shorten the Bloodletter's charge range.  In all fairness, I believe Kirk moved to charge the Flamers with his Assault squad to see if they are as scary as we had read.  They are.  Don't charge them!  Shoot them.  A lot. 

It was a fun first game with Daemons.  Both Kirk and I learned a ton about Daemons in 6th Edition.  I'm sure the next time we play, the Flamers will be a high priority target for his shooting.  I'll need to be careful with their deployment and keep them screened to get them in close enough.  I'll also have to choose their target well to get good use of them; I don't expect to get 2 turns of shooting out of them from now on unless the dice REALLY favor me!  Not likely!

Assembly is moving forward.  I'm almost done with all of the big annoying models.  The worst thing I have to deal with is finishing the assembly on the pewter (previous edition) daemonettes, and a bunch of mold line cleaning.  Then, on to painting!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment